Organizing Your Home: Getting Started
Your home is a sanctuary; a place to relax, rejuvenate and recharge. However, a home filled with clutter and “stuff” can not only rob you of peace and tranquility, but, most importantly, your life.
Stephanie Denton, author of The Organized Life: Secrets of An Expert Organizer states, “Being organized is about living the life you want to live. It’s more than creating a beautiful space or getting things done fast, although both are extremely valuable results of getting organized. Being organized is about reaching for your dreams and having an environment that supports your doing so.”
Here are some tips to help you get started:
• Begin with the room that, if organized, would make the most difference to you. This is usually the room in which you spend most of your time.
• Always have a garbage can, recycling bin and donation box handy when you go thru stuff. These are three of your most important organizing tools.
• Take on one small space at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed. Tackle a drawer or a shelf. You can always do more if you still have energy and are motivated.
• Assign a home to every object. Always do this before you go out and purchase containers or bins. This way you can be sure that the object is in its best place and your containers will fit.
• Purge regularly. Start with things that are most current and then tackle older projects. Maintenance is key so as things come into the home, such as mail, take care of it immediately by disposing, filing or creating a space for it.
Your home can and should be a place for dreams. You will be surprised how much peace you will experience when your home is organized and clutter-free.
If you would like advice and expert coaching through any organization project, give us a call or email. We can assist you in navigating this process and getting your home, office, garage, or life organized. An expert coach is an invaluable asset, no matter the task or goal.